geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: Web State Replication... (long)
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:00:14 GMT
gianny DAMOUR wrote:

> Jules Gosnell wrote:
>
>>> I see. I understand why you need to tell your lb about migrations
>>> and, if I understand it correctly, this is mainly an optimization.
>>> However, you are not compeled to keep the lb aware of migrations:
>>

>> ?? - If you don't, it will continue to deliver requests to the node
>> that the session used to be at, not the node that it is currently at.
>> This is bad news. You will either have to forward/redirect (clumsy),
>> migrate the session back to this node (wasted cycles/bandwidth/time)
>> or continue without the session (failure).
>
> No: it tries the primary. The primary is not available. It then tries
> another available server. This server can be the secondary or not. One
> does not care about the migration process because this available
> server will request to the secondary the session attached to the
> incoming request. At the end of the day, the lb is aware only of the
> available servers.

OK - you are talking about failover - in that case I agree.

I thought you were just talking generally about migration.

If you just migrate state in order to balance it around the cluster, you
will need some way of syncing this new distribution with the lb...

So we see eye to eye :-)

Jules

--
 * Jules Gosnell