geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Wilkins <gr...@mortbay.com>
Subject Re: HELP! Need ideas for Geronimo presentation at ApacheCon!
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2003 11:29:03 GMT

Andrew Sondgeroth wrote:
> -What key API's are going to be written vs. plugging in an existing
> product? (i.e. using Jetty instead of writing a servlet container)

I also think the way that Jetty (and eventually tomcat) is being plumbed
into geronimo is an interesting feature.

It is not simply being tacked onto the side of geronimo with the
unsuspecting user being thrown into Jetty (or tomcat) config file
land.

The webcontainer AND ALL ITS components are being added as first class
geronimo services.  Thus connecters, webapps, request logs (and eventually
session managers, realms etc.) are all geronimo services with standard
geronimo lifecycles, management and configuration.

The web tier is a major component of an app server and it should not
be treated as a foreign subsystem simply because it is too much work
to re-implement.

I think that is going to be a huge plus for Geronimo and allow
people to develop web-centric services (like HttpSesson distribution)
using geronimo's infrastructure without getting into jetty or tomcat
internals - well that's the idea anyway.

cheers