geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Yves Gibello <pierreyves.gibe...@experlog.com>
Subject Re: [ObjectWeb architecture] Re: licenses for ObjectWeb components & Apache/OW collaboration
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2003 07:46:53 GMT
Miroslav Halas wrote:

>Brian and Jean-Bernard,
>
>maybe this is a silly question, but somewhere
>(http://incubator.apache.org/projects/geronimo-proposal.html) I have
>read that one of the main purposes behind starting Geronimo project was
>absence of ASF (or BSD like) licensed J2EE server. If Objectweb is
>willing to change license on some of its components, maybe it would be
>possible to change the license of Jonas as well.
>
>Question: Would that be possible / feasible at all ?
>
>In so then there would be no need to reimplement the whole J2EE stack
>again just to use a different license.
>
>Not sure what are other reasons behind Geronimo, but if one of them is
>to use already available J2EE stack components other than then ones
>provided by Objectweb, wouldn't it be better to just improve Jonas to be
>truly plug an play with ability to use for example different EJB
>container (OpenEJB)?

I don't believe having multiple open-source J2EE projects is a loss of
energy. Nor is it a war.

It is closer to sound competition, or "coopetition"; See how we at
ObjectWeb already use apache components, like Tomcat; also, on the
"political" ground, multiple actors have proven to be stronger, for
example to make Sun's position evolve concerning certification.
Such a process makes each of us better, it's just like we are multiple
participants to a  marathon race, a condition to run fast.

I am also convinced we - the IT industry - need even more than 2
implementations to make open-source J2EE credible (at least 2 certified
ones would be good). Then we'll be the big alternative to commercial app
servers.

So, welcome Geronimo !

Regards,
 Pierre-Yves Gibello - ExperLog (and ObjectWeb board)