geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Miroslav Halas <object...@bastafidli.com>
Subject Re: [ObjectWeb architecture] Re: licenses for ObjectWeb components & Apache/OW collaboration
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2003 21:15:35 GMT
Brian and Jean-Bernard,

maybe this is a silly question, but somewhere
(http://incubator.apache.org/projects/geronimo-proposal.html) I have
read that one of the main purposes behind starting Geronimo project was
absence of ASF (or BSD like) licensed J2EE server. If Objectweb is
willing to change license on some of its components, maybe it would be
possible to change the license of Jonas as well.

Question: Would that be possible / feasible at all ?

In so then there would be no need to reimplement the whole J2EE stack
again just to use a different license.

Not sure what are other reasons behind Geronimo, but if one of them is
to use already available J2EE stack components other than then ones
provided by Objectweb, wouldn't it be better to just improve Jonas to be
truly plug an play with ability to use for example different EJB
container (OpenEJB)?

I believe implementation of full J2EE spec is not a trivial task as you
can see from the history of Jonas, JBoss and others. Change of license
could save (or redirect to more or faster achievable goals) lots of
development resources if license is the only reason and also help
establish de-facto standard (similar to Apache HTTP server, or Tomcat
JSP container) faster (especially since hopefully Jonas will be soon
J2EE certified thanks to the Sun's scholarship Objectweb received).

Hope this is not too off topic,

Miro Halas