geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Bhagwat, Hrishikesh" <hbhag...@visa.com>
Subject RE: Web State Replication... (long)
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2003 01:11:47 GMT
hey jules,

Happy to see your design .. we are now good to compare notes ..
infact I and vivek did just that during this morning and
here are some comments. I did like to say that there are really 3
"independent" issues involved.

1. The issue of "CREATING and REORGANIZING" partitions and "NODE BACKUP"

2. The issue of Session Migration in face of a Failover.

3. The issue of integration with LB.

In summary here is what i have to say :

So far as point (1) is concerned, I think that this proposal is more of a
"special case" scenerio of the generic approach mentioned in my proposal.
please see section "A" below for an explanation to this comment

So far as point (2) is concerned, while reading through the proposal and
comparing it with my proposal we did realize that domino effect that a
failover can have (in my design)... we have come up with a way of
executing LAZY-REDISTRIBUTION. see section "B"

So far as point (3) is concerned, Because our designs are so lot similar
... i think any good thoughts on this point can be incorporated in either
of the designs just as well.

Section "A"
============

The way your design (i like to call this "I") appears to me as
a "special case" of the "auto-partitioning" design (will call
this "II") that I had earlier put forward. In other words the
"I" DESIGN "can be DERIVED" from the "II" desing.

Please consider this

If we finally implement the system using the "II" and have the
following set of values then we will come to STATE-(1) of the "I"
design

PARAM
------

Node List :   RED - GREEN - YELLOW
cutover_count : 3 (current partition size)
MAX_CUT_OVER : 4 (partitions cannot have more then 4 servers)
MIN_CUT_OVER : 3 (partitions cannot have less than 3 servers)

Now when you add BLUE Node the resultant state-(2)will arise
from having

Node List :   RED - GREEN - YELLOW - BLUE
cutover_count : 4 (current partition size)
MAX_CUT_OVER : 4 (partitions cannot have more then 3 servers)
MIN_CUT_OVER : 3 (partitions cannot have less than 3 servers)

Thus till this point "I" can be completely derived from "II".
Further due to its dynamic nature, "II" has a the following
distinctive advantages.

1. "The amount of processing each Node of a partition must undertake
  in order to fully back up all nodes of that partition depends on
  the number of servers in that partition" .. in other words a each
  node of a partition that has just 3 servers will spend (relatively)
  less time doing back-up activity than a node that is a member of
  a partition having 8 nodes.

  LESS THE NUMBER OF SERVERS IN A PARTITION, MORE IT IS THAT EACH SERVER
  CAN CONCENTRATE ON SERVING CLIENT REQUESTS THAN ON BACKUP-OPERATIONS.
  thus improving performance .. but loosing robustness (fewer backups).

  MAX_CUT_OVER lets us specify the maximum number of server that can
  be allowed in a Partition thus letting you specify the LOWER BOUND ON
  PERFORMANCE. similarly MIN_CUT_OVER lets you put LOWER bound on ROBUSTNESS.

I think we must thus stick to the approach where the system sway between
MIN and MAX values depending upon load.

Section "B"
============

The problem with the RECOVERY process in my initial proposal was that
on failure of a Node A ... its sessions will be sliced and each slice
would be sent out a  specific node in the cluster. Till this point I
think all would be ok ... problems would start when each node would start
to back up these newly received nodes on to other nodes. Increasing the
traffic multifolds.

I and Vivek have thought of a solution for LAZY-REDISTRIBTION. The idea is that
say "A" fails and so any further requests for A are sent to B. As in the earlier
proposal ... B will service this request and simulteneously start a process to
slice A's backup into no of live servers. It will then make a map of SLICE and
SLICE_OWNERS (nodes). Now when another of A's request hits "B" it will check the
slice to which this Session object belongs to. If the slice to which it belongs
is owned by say D ... B will forward to "D" this request and also ITS SLICE OF
A's sessions. Hereo-on D will take up the responsibility of serving all SESSIONS
that fall in the SLICE it was supplied with. It will inform the LB about this.
Once this is done B need not any more hold D's slice in memory. Thus the process
of distribution of SLICES will be spread over a substantial time period.

Finally, the reason why i am keen on having a cluster wide distribution of Sessions as
against a Partition wise distribution is because once the distribution is done
all node are again equale (in terms of load). We wont have nodes of a particular
cluster being heavily loaded all the times (bcoz one of there nodes went down) while
having nodes of another cluster idle away CPU cycles.

comments?
hb