geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeremy Boynes" <jer...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject RE: [Deployment] IM Summary for Directory Issue
Date Sat, 04 Oct 2003 07:50:19 GMT
I think this thread has been superceded, but comments inline...

I think this is confusing and may not even be possible (e.g. the server
may not have permission to write to the "deploy" directory).

> 2) For each application module in the deploy directory, we
> will save the Geronimo-specific DD outside the module, with a
> name based on the module name ("foo.war" gets the DD
> "geronimo-deployment-foo.war.xml" or something along those lines).
>
> 3) We will add tags to the DD to hold the deployment state of
> the module.
> When the module is distributed, started, stopped, etc. we
> will update the
> DD accordingly.

Storing this state is the responsibility of the service controller. We
do not need to copy the entire DD just to record the state of the MBean.
Indeed, the state of the MBeans involved is likely to be a superset of
the information in the DD.

> 4)  When the server is started, it will deploy or not
> according to the tags in the DDs.  If there is no state tag
> in the DD, we will assume that
> this is a new module to deploy and we will deploy it (and
> write in the
> state tag).
>
> 5) If no geronimo-specific DD is present, we will write one
> out to track
> the deployment state, and attempt to use intelligent defaults
> for the rest
> of the settings.
>
> 	This works fairly well for JSR-88, where the DD is
> maintained outside of the archive and sent to the server
> separately, and it shouldn't be too hard to implement for the
> directory scanning deployer (either the user copies the DD
> along with the archive, or we extract the Geronimo DD from a
> default location in the archive).

The geronimo-specific DD is one representation of the vendor-specific
configuration of the archive; there may be others (e.g. some entry in a
config management system). Defining this configuration is the first step
in the deployment process; distribution and start are separate steps and
I don't think we should mix the information they use.

--
Jeremy