geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "n. alex rupp" <rupp0...@umn.edu>
Subject Re: [Deployment] Directories
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 19:13:37 GMT
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, n. alex rupp wrote:
> > I'm not certain we're moving in the right direction with this, Aaron.
>
> Well, that's why I asked!

=)  Ahhh.  The sweet smell of honest disagreements.

> > Two questions.
> > 1.  Does the CMP engine already perform version handling for the
persistence
> > layer?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean.  If the logic in one of your session
> beans changes, and you redeply the app, but at the moment you deploy it
> there's a request in process, what happens?  I'm speculating that it would
> be best if the in-process request was fully resolved against the old
> session bean (possibly including calls out to other old session or entity
> beans), while new requests would resolve against the new version of the
> session bean (etc.).  So I'm not sure how CMP versioning would help.
>
> (BTW, we don't have to resolve this now; we can just barf any
> in-process requests, but I thought it would be best to at least consider
> the issue up front.)

My point here is that versioning issues should be resolved in the EJB and
Servlet containers respectively, not by the application loader.  I remember
discussions specifically regarding the above example from several weeks ago
occurring between dain and jeremy.

> > 2.  Is, therefore, this problem limited to the servlet layer in the
> > application?
> >
> > If both of these are true, then I suggest we leave servlet versioning to
the
> > servlet container and associated servlet framework providers.
>
> I don't think so, based on the session bean example above.
>
> > I'm not sure we should be copying and shuffling entire archives around.
It
> > seems like it would be very resource intensive and confusing for the end
> > user.  Is there another way we could be thinking about this other than
> > directories in the file system?  I believe the deploy directory is
really
> > just another part of the user interface and that the problems of
> > classification and deployment should be separated from that UI and
handled
> > under the covers by the server.
>
> Okay...  but when an application is deployed through JSR-88, I
> need somewhere to put it (most likely not in the deploy directory).  I'd
> like to agree on where that should be.

Agreed : )

--
N. Alex Rupp (n_alex_rupp@users.sf.net)