geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "gianny DAMOUR" <gianny_dam...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: JMX Management Console
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2003 22:35:50 GMT
Hello,

Aaron Mulder wrote:
[...]
>restart JNDI (or whatever) also talks about the consequences?  And how
>would you present server components vs. applications and application
>components (hopefully not in one big alphabetical list!)?

Personally, the management console of BEA is outstanding. Basically, they
have broken down the components into areas (JNDI, Datasources, Web
applications et cetera) and the result is that it is quite intuitive to
understand/find how to use the management console.

Just right now, Geronimo provides distinct management domains
"geronimo.boot", "geronimo.deployment" et cetera which breaks down the
server components into distinct area and I assume that it will be the
mechanism to aggregate the components.

Regarding the presentation of the JSR-77 manageable objects, perhaps that
this kind of layout could be applied (excerpt):

+ J2EEDomain (name=<name>)
   |----------J2EEServer (name=<name>)
                      |----------J2EEApplication (name=<name>)
                                         |----------AppClientModule
(name=<name>)

This hierarchy mirrors the parent j2ee type hierarchy defined by
JSR77.3.1.1.1.3. It could be nice to be able to click on a specific
manageable object, which then opens and displays its childs or related
manageable objects.

Moreover, as the objects provide a status (stopped, running, failed et
cetera), one could also add a small icon (red=stopped; green=running) beside
each folder in order to display its status.

>	As far as coding goes, the first thing to do is figure out how to
>access all the goodies in o.a.g.management from a remote client.  It looks
>like most everything is an interface at the moment -- my guess would be
>that it's not implemented yet on the server side -- anyone know more about
>the progress there?  Is there something we can poke just to make sure the
>communication works?

All the "goodies" in o.a.g.management should be accessed via at least a
session bean, named a MEJB, which MUST be deployed in order to be compliant
with JSR77. This EJB exposes the management model as (Dynamic) MBeans. More
accurately, the manageable objects may or may not be MBeans, in our case
they will be (Dynamic) MBeans, and should not be accessed directly. One
should use the MEJB home anrd remote interfaces to interact with them as
MBeans.

>	Finally, I would also like to hear more about the web-based
>console.  I'm not sure what state it's in and whether help is wanted.  We
>can plan to work on the command-line version for now, though it sounds
>like perhaps we have people interested in both.

Regarding the web-based console and the command-line version, I only wanted
to underline that it should be able to alert the end-user of notifications.
Indeed, manageable objects may emit notifications (e.g. when its status
changes) and a management application may listen to them.

Cheers,
Gianny

http://search.msn.fr/