geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "gianny DAMOUR" <gianny_dam...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: TM
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2003 00:05:47 GMT
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 18:11:10 -0400, Andy Zeneski said:
>What are the plans for connection pooling?
I had a look to this feature and, based on my understanding of the JCA
specficications, I think that connection pooling should be tackled by
responding to the "Connection Management" section.

More accurately, whatever the interface - cci or non-cci a la
javax.sql.DataSource  - it is possible to implement a generic connection
pooling mechanism.

I tried to give a "fare" try to the DBCP package (I am definitively a brand
new DBCP user) in order to implement the "Connection Management" section of
the JCA specifications. And I was quickly stuck by the following issues (one
more time, I am a new DBCP user):
- PoolableConnection is a physical connection wrapper. Such a wrapper is
provided by a JDBC vendor, who packages its Driver as a Connector;
- I was unable to figure out how to get a LocalTransaction or a XAResource
from a physical connection;
- I was unable to figure out how to update DBCP in order to support the
ManagedConnection interface as pooled instances;  more accurately, the
PoolableConnectionFactory.makeObject does not take as parameters a JAAS
Subject and a ConnectionRequestInfo as required by the specifications; and
- I was unable to figure out how to plug the
ManagedConnectionFactory.matchManagedConnection method.

So, I have decided to (re-)implement a connection pool, which was able to
address all these points.

I have submitted an (ugly) patch preview (GERONIMO-90) showing how this
generic implementation can be used to mount a pool of JDBC connection via
the "Connection Management" contract of the JCA specifications. This
implementation can also mount a pool of CCI compliant connections. Based on
the fact that this perview is perhaps to ugly to be considered, I will clean
it and submit a packaged version, say next week.

Regarding DBCP, I think that the pooling capabilities of PreparedStatement
will be used.

Gianny

Trouvez l'âme soeur sur MSN Rencontres http://g.msn.fr/FR1000/9551