geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "gianny DAMOUR" <gianny_dam...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: TM
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2003 00:44:16 GMT
Bruce Snyder  said:
>As for Connection pooling, Gianny Amour and I have briefly discussed
>implementing this via use of the Jakarta Commons Pool.

[I have posted yesterday an answer regading the connection pooling features
and unfortunately it is still pending somewhere... However, its content is
more or less duplicated by this one]

Based on the JCA specifications, the connection pooling for cci and non-cci
interfaces - a la javax.sql.DataSource - can be addressed by implementing
the "Connection Management" section of the specfications.

I tried to give a "fair" try to DBCP (I am a new user) and I gave up for the
following reasons:
- I was unable to figure out how to get a LocalTransaction or a XAResource
from a physical connection;
- I was unable to figure out how to pass a JAAS Subject and a
ConnectionRequestInfo to the factory in charge of the creation of physical
connections. This is quite exactly the same problem for the commons-pool
package: the factory for pooled objects takes no argument or a key in the
case of a Keyed pool.
- I was unable to figure out how to plug the
ManagedConnectionFactory.matchManagedConnection method.

Actually, I was able to figure out how to address these points, yet after a
quick assessment I have decided to (re)implement it from scratch as it was
quicker (I am new to DBCP).

I have submitted an "ugly" preview of this implementation of the "Connection
Management" section in order to let you say "no, this is not what we want".
Just right now, I am "cleaning" and "packaging" this implementation in order
to be able to submit a more appealing proposal. I should be able to submit
it next week.

But one more time, this implementation does not use DBCP and commons-pool.
However, I strongly believe that the pooling capabilities of
PreparedStatement offered by DBCP will be re-used.

Gianny

Hotmail : un compte GRATUIT qui vous suit partout et tout le temps !
http://g.msn.fr/FR1000/9493