geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "gianny DAMOUR" <gianny_dam...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: JCA ConnectionPoolDataSource
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2003 10:00:34 GMT
Bruce Snyder wrote:

>The JDBC 3.0 spec requires a compliant JDBC driver to provide a
>connection pool implementation via the JDBC 3.0 API.
This is not how I have interpreted the JDBC 3.0 specifications.

Are we talking about the jdbc-3_0-fr-spec.pdf specifications?

My understanding is that a JDBC vendor provides an implementation of:
- DataSource;
- ConnectionPoolDataSource; or/and
- XADataSource.

These implementations - on top of a standard JDBC driver - are packaged as
resource adapters by a JDBC vendor and deployed by an application server as
non-cci interfaces via a standard RAR file.

An application server uses the hooks provided by a PooledConnection in order
to maintain a pool of physical connections. It also provides a uniform view
to the client - a DataSource view - by implementing a DataSource, which
delegates the creation of physical connections to a
ConnectionPoolDataSource. This DataSource performs the bookkeeping of the
logical connections handed over to clients.

I agree that some JDBC vendors provide a connection pool implementation,
however, it is not covered by the specifications I have here.

>If it is necessary to provide a pool, we should consider reusing
>something already available at Apache rather than building our own
>implementation. There's DBCP from Jakarta Commons that provides a pool of
>java.sql.Connection objects and there's Pool also from Jakarta Commons
>that is a generic object pooler.
I agree. My current implementation uses Jakarta commons-pool, which provides
a generic object pooler.

>But first we need to determine if we really need a connection pool.
Based on my understanding of the specifications, one should need one.
Excerpt of the "Connection Pooling" section:

"In FIGURE 11-1, the JDBC driver provides an implementation of
ConnectionPoolDataSource that the application server uses to build and
manage the connection pool."

Gianny

MSN Messenger 6 http://g.msn.fr/FR1001/866  : dialoguez en son et en image
avec vos amis.