geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <fer...@frii.com>
Subject Re: Ideas
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2003 03:30:29 GMT
This one time, at band camp, Alexi Polenur said:

AP>Regardint the standards. There is an JSR-233.

Actually it's JSR-223:

    http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=223

And this JSR seems to be aimed more toward a standardization of a
templating language for authoring web applications (e.g.  Velocity,
WebMacro, TEA, FreeMarker, etc.) rather than toward the standardization
of scripting language support allowing access to Java objects and
vice versa.

IMO, Adding support for the Bean Scripting Framework
(http://jakarta.apache.org/bsf/) is a very good idea that should
be part of Geronimo.

AP>The intention of JSR is:
AP>
AP>" The specification will describe mechanisms allowing
AP>scripting language programs to access information
AP>developed in the Java Platform and allowing scripting
AP>language pages to be used in Java Server-side "
AP>
AP>Alexi
AP>
AP>Applications.
AP>--- LCS <samsonl@dodo.net.au> wrote:
AP>>
AP>> I was wondering as to the possibilty of having
AP>> native support in
AP>> Geronimo for scripting EJB methods in BSF languages.
AP>>
AP>> I've allways thought it a little strange that a
AP>> systems programming
AP>> language like java is used for business logic when
AP>> there are arguably
AP>> better languages around for that sort of work.
AP>>
AP>> I'm not aware of any standard supporting this but it
AP>> might be a nice
AP>> selling point for Geronimo further down the track.

Bruce

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo