geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeremy Boynes" <jer...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject RE: committer process
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2003 22:45:10 GMT
> From: Greg Stein [mailto:gstein@apache.org]
>
> The root of the problem here is that most of the ASF (including myself)
> was not really aware of a lot of the rationale for why the httpd PMC was
> constructed and managed in the fashion it is. About this time last year,
> we had a *lot* of conversations around the structure and organization of
> the ASF, and a lot of this was discovered and discussed. There is now a
> lot of backfill that needs to occur, but (still) has not.

This is indeed a cause - and add to that many of the contributors to
Geronimo are new to Apache and were not included in the discussions last
year. The only thing we have to go on is the public documentation so if that
is obsolete and irrelevant then *please get rid of it to avoid the
confusion*.

> Look back at my original posts. I suggested to the list to send a list of
> committer candidates to pmc@incubator.apache.org. I *did* provide a
> recommendation which met the ASF's needs. But then you guys went all off
> on "deciding a process", closing that vote up real fast, and then starting
> to use it to "vote in" new committers.

Yes, because you impressed a sense of urgency on us and, no-one knowing any
different, we felt it made sense to follow the documented process. The
incorrect information there made this a much bigger problem than it should
have been.

Now let's set that behind us and move on.

We need to define the structure the project will have on exit from the
incubator, but this is probably not the right thread for it.

--
Jeremy