geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeremy Boynes" <jer...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject RE: Geronimo Deployment Descriptors
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2003 16:44:17 GMT
> From: Alex Blewitt [mailto:Alex.Blewitt@ioshq.com]
> On Tuesday, Sep 9, 2003, at 17:10 Europe/London, n. alex rupp wrote:
>
> > I would like to create a front end for this process in the web
> > console.  I
> > was thinking about it last night (before I read this morning's
> > encouraging
> > posts).  Richard Monson-Haefel wrote about it a while back--easing the
> > process of deployment by removing the need for people to work directly
> > with
> > the deployment descriptors.  His suggestions fall perfectly in line
> > with
> > what Jeremy's written here.
> >
> I think it's an excellent idea to get the web console to generate the
> deployment -- RMH's idea was that you shouldn't need to know that an
> XML file is even there.
>
> So I think the front-end console can hide /whatever/ format is required
> and this will be a Good Thing. I just don't personally see the benefit
> of a binary format outweighing the downsides.

If you are writing a deployment tool, I would strongly suggest that it use
JSR 88 DDBean and DConfigBeans as its data model - that will allow it to
deploy applications to _any_ J2EE1.4 server.

[Remember, the provider part of JSR88 is mandatory, the tool part is
optional ]]

Please sync with Aaron Mulder on loading the standard XML config into
DDBeans. And, for James, this is the application for the pure-standard data
model.

--
Jeremy