geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo Deployment Descriptors
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2003 16:23:43 GMT
On Tuesday, Sep 9, 2003, at 17:10 Europe/London, n. alex rupp wrote:

> I would like to create a front end for this process in the web
> console.  I
> was thinking about it last night (before I read this morning's
> encouraging
> posts).  Richard Monson-Haefel wrote about it a while back--easing the
> process of deployment by removing the need for people to work directly
> with
> the deployment descriptors.  His suggestions fall perfectly in line
> with
> what Jeremy's written here.
>
> I think making the deployment data persist is a great idea.  It could
> also
> allow multiple deployment profiles for each application (higher / lower
> security, etc).

I think it's an excellent idea to get the web console to generate the
deployment -- RMH's idea was that you shouldn't need to know that an
XML file is even there.

However, it doesn't necessarily mean that it can't generate the XML,
rather than a binary-compatible format that Jeremy was suggesting. An
XML document will always be more portable between versions than a
generated bunch of code, because when bugs are fixed in the latter you
have to regenerate, whereas with an XML file you don't.

So I think the front-end console can hide /whatever/ format is required
and this will be a Good Thing. I just don't personally see the benefit
of a binary format outweighing the downsides.

Aled.