geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: Comments on committer process
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2003 19:49:40 GMT
I think it is a great idea to keep a summary of votes on the wiki, but
I believe that we are required (i.e., not even an option... end of
story) to vote on the mailing list.

I think we should have person opening the vote create a summary on he
wiki and I think we should have the person aggregating the vote log the
final summary on the wiki.  This way we can have the formal record in
the email and an easy to read record in the wiki.  The best of both
worlds for only twice the work :)

-dain

On Wednesday, September 10, 2003, at 02:31 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> I setup an example for how a wiki voting system could work here:
> http://wiki.codehaus.org/geronimo/Voting
>
> My main issue with email only voting is that it is hard to manage who
> voted & what there vote was with out digging a whole lot.
>
> Plus with MoinMoin it is possible to use ACL to control who can write
> to the page, and is possible to let someone vote with out having to
> edit the page, though need to write a special action/macro to handle
> that.
>
> I personally would like to see voting done in email & then finalized
> on the wiki page so it is easy for anyone to see what is going on,
> what has been voted on and what is currently open for votes.
>
> --jason
>

> On Thursday, September 11, 2003, at 01:41  AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
>>> Was thinking of using the wiki as a place for votes in general...
>>> easier to manage IMO.
>>
>> NO!
>>
>> Now for the explanation.  :-)  I am a big fan of Wiki, but it does not
>> replace the mailing list.  The mailing list should be used for
>> discussion,
>> and MUST be used for voting.  The mailing lists are archived and
>> provide an
>> paper trail.  They are a record of the project.
>>
>> 	--- Noel

  * Dain Sundstrom
  * Partner
  * Core Developers Network