geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: Status: JavaMail API implementation now at Alpha quality
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2003 20:39:44 GMT
On Tuesday, September 16, 2003, at 03:22 PM, Alex Blewitt wrote:

> On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 21:07 Europe/London, Matt Kurjanowicz
> wrote:
>
>> As far as packaging external classes, I think it very appropriate, as
>> long as we say *what* we are including.  It's our implementation of
>> the
>> API, and as long as it's up to Spec, it doesn't matter what's going on
>> behind the scenes - that's just abstraction and is of no consequence
>> the end-user.
>
> If JavaMail is ever spun out to a different API, then the exceptions
> might need to be redressed (or at the least, packed with the JavaMail
> API). But whilst it's here, I don't see a problem.

That is the exact problem.  People will want to use it as a standalone
without any other geronimo code.  I personally don't think this code
belongs in Geronimo at all and should be moved to a James,
Jakarta-Commons, Commons or SourceForge.

>> One question I do have:
>> How would it be good to implement the
>> requestPasswordAuthentication(...)
>> method in the javax.mail.Store class?  The javadoc says to prompt for
>> username and password in a fairly standard way, but how does that fit
>> in
>> to the Server?  Would it be a good idea to use a standard System.out
>> and
>> System.in to read the username and password?
>
> This still isn't implemented yet -- I've yet to work on the password
> authentication parts. It's usually expected that the uid/password will
> be provided with the call to connect in the first place; if it is,
> then requestPasswordAuthentication will never be called. It's only
> called when there isn't one (or it's wrong).
>
> However, what would be good is finding whether we're running in a GUI
> -- can we use anything to detect if we are headless?

Authentication information should be gathered from JAAS.  That is what
it is designed to do.

-dain

  * Dain Sundstrom
  * Partner