geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: committer process
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:35:03 GMT

On Friday, September 12, 2003, at 11:22  AM, Ryan Ackley wrote:

> Aaron,
>
> Not sure if you were following the recent discussions. I posted a
> couple
> links to the Apache process on new committers
> (http://incubator.apache.org/drafts/newcommitters.html). Any committer
> can
> nominate anyone else as a committer at any time. Then there is a vote
> of
> committers on the dev list. This is the standard Apache way of doing
> it and
> it has worked on a wide range of projects.
>
> I don't even know if the Apache Board of Directors would allow you to
> make
> committer votes "secret". Have you approached anyone on the board
> about this
> subject?

I appreciate you trying to clarify this, but those documents
are drafts and are by no means binding. Furthermore, even though
I'm on the Incubator PMC, what I say is no more more less the
official rule than what those documents say.

Anyway, it looks like those documents were lifted from the way Jakarta
works today. As Greg (who is the ASF Chairman) pointed out in an earlier
message, the way Jakarta does it and the way HTTPD and APR do it are
completely
different. I do not believe the Jakarta method of public voting is
good, and
I believe we should use the HTTPD/APR method in this project. I'm not
going
to try to change Jakarta today, but I do not believe new projects should
be created with those rules in place.

-aaron