geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: Closing items 49-56,58-65 as duplicate -- PLEASE READ
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2003 02:02:11 GMT
Give David a break.

You all seem to be forgetting that David is a volunteer also, and
wasting his time and effort is just a bad a wasting anyone else's time.
  Dealing with a bug in the tracker has a certain amount of overhead
(even is a great one like Jira), so from David's perspective  (and
mine) Alex simply went and create 16 times the work.  Now, don't get
all melodramatic I'm not saying Alex should just send a huge patch once
a week either.  He needs to use good judgment, as a huge patch can be
near impossible to figure out.

So Alex, please think about the person on the receiving end of you
patches next time.

-dain

On Wednesday, September 3, 2003, at 08:06 PM, Mark Mahieu wrote:

> David, I'm really having trouble understanding what you mean by that.
> Now I'm sure there must be more to it, and I doubt (hope) you didn't
> mean it to come across this way but it seems you've pretty much just
> publicly characterised one of your most enthusiastic contributors as a
> petulant brat simply because he used the bug-tracking system in a way
> that didn't suit you.  If there have been guidelines prominently set
> out about what is or is not acceptable practise then I apologise.  I
> can't see them anywhere though, so I have to wonder whether I may fall
> foul of the same kind of 'mistake' that Alex apparently just has if I
> start contributing code.
>
> Regardless, this all seems to have been blown way out of proportion.
> Personally, my feeling is that if the committers want contributors to
> be useful to the project then they should at the very least publish
> guidelines on how they wish JIRA etc to be used.  Then gently point
> people at those guidelines the first time you deem them to have
> offended.  As some of the committers love to tell people, this project
> has a WIKI.  It even has a FAQ for developers!
>
> I really hope I've got the wrong end of the stick here, but as one of
> the many people on the 'outside' of this project looking in and
> wondering whether to get actively involved, the public mailing lists
> aren't presenting the most attractive image.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark

  * Dain Sundstrom
  * Partner