geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: who can vote?
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:56:09 GMT

On Friday, September 12, 2003, at 11:42  AM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> 	Perhaps the documentation should be updated:
>
> "However, the basic rule is that committers have binding votes, and all
> others are either discouraged from voting (to keep the noise down) or
> else
> have their votes considered of an indicative or advisory nature only."
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/drafts/voting.html
>
> 	It does provide alternatives, but most non-committers probably
> don't want to be considered "noise to keep down", and it certainly
> doesn't give the same impression as the message below.

Consider that this project is new, and many of the main people
who have the most understanding of what is being voted on aren't
yet committers. For now, it makes sense to encourage everyone
to vote if they have an opinion on anything (not just for votes,
if you have an opinion on anything, technical. procedural, etc,
speak up! We value your opinion.)

Once we get to a steady state where all of the contributors are
also committers, then that rule (really just a guideline) above will
start to make more sense.

-aaron