geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [XML Parsing]
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2003 22:35:35 GMT
On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 06:31 AM, Jan Bartel wrote:

> Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>
>> containers.  Why do I have to generate some xml to deploy a servlet?
>> I should be able to create some pojo data structures and tell the
>> deployer to "do it".  Anyway, that is an issue for another day...
> No offense taken :-)  The reason they all deal with xml descriptors is
> purely because the spec mandates it.

Yes, but it doesn't say that the only way to deploy a servlet it to
generate an xml file or dom.  Maybe I'm in left field but I think it
would be very useful to be able to deploy a servlet at runtime by just
creating some pojos describing what you watn.

>> For now, I think we make an exception for the web containers, but for
>> every thing else I think the metadata should be passed around in
>> pojos.  That way users will be able to deploy ejb and message queues
>> on the fly.
> Not sure I'm with you here, why does on-the-fly deployment require
> POJOs? If we pass a DOM of some kind around, representing the
> deployment descriptors:
>
>   + the DOM can be constructed either from xml or on the fly
>   + we've already got all the jars necessary to support it in
>     geronimo's /lib
>   + there are efficiencies to be gained, at least in the web
>     deployer/container area by using DOMs

I agree with the first two but the last I don't get... unless you
actually end up parsing the xml file several times.

>>>    + nice if object <-> DOM was easily available
>> What do you mean?
> I mean I still haven't given up on trying to stop the web containers
> double or triple parsing the descriptors, so I want the option to be
> able to pass them in a pre-parsed DOM. If we use POJOs then my only
> way of doing that is if there is POJO -> DOM.

I really think we should make an exception for the web container.
Maybe one of the fields in the pojo is the acutal dom.  For everything
else since we are starting fresh, I don't see why we shouldn't make the
system easier to use by defining pojos for metadata.

-dain

  * Dain Sundstrom
  * Partner
  * Core Developers Network