geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo Deployment Descriptors -- and premature optimisation
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2003 20:32:29 GMT
On Tuesday, Sep 9, 2003, at 21:22 Europe/London, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> Alex in an embedded system you may only have a small prom available to
> boot from.  Specifically, you may want to ditch the 1 meg for an XML
> parser.  You may also have a small amount of memory and XML parsers
> are known for being memory pigs (which is fine in a normal server).

You can't seriously be comparing Geronimo's kernel to that of an
embedded kernel, can you? Never mind that the JDK in its current form
is way too big to fit on a small device.

If you want to write Geronimo for J2ME, go ahead.

If we're using J2SE, especially 1.4, then we can use the XML parses
that it comes with.

> Also we need to be open to other persistent forms.  The XML document
> is simply a persistent form of data and we need to be open to other
> persistent forms.

Yes, provided that those forms are a declarative non-binary
representation for the reasons already pointed out. As I said, I'm not
a definitive fan of XML; I'd prefer to see JNDI/LDAP being used
personally, but there are bound to be other alternatives. I was merely
pointing out the flaws in the argument; that it was optimisation
without benchmarking proving the case in Geronimo's loading time; that
programmatic specs degrade faster than declarative specs, and that
binary formats degrade faster than text formats.

I think that that's a pretty open PoV :-)

Alex.