geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: Status: JavaMail API implementation now at Alpha quality
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2003 20:22:35 GMT
On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 21:07 Europe/London, Matt Kurjanowicz
wrote:

> As far as packaging external classes, I think it very appropriate, as
> long as we say *what* we are including.  It's our implementation of the
> API, and as long as it's up to Spec, it doesn't matter what's going on
> behind the scenes - that's just abstraction and is of no consequence to
> the end-user.

If JavaMail is ever spun out to a different API, then the exceptions
might need to be redressed (or at the least, packed with the JavaMail
API). But whilst it's here, I don't see a problem.

> One question I do have:
> How would it be good to implement the
> requestPasswordAuthentication(...)
> method in the javax.mail.Store class?  The javadoc says to prompt for a
> username and password in a fairly standard way, but how does that fit
> in
> to the Server?  Would it be a good idea to use a standard System.out
> and
> System.in to read the username and password?

This still isn't implemented yet -- I've yet to work on the password
authentication parts. It's usually expected that the uid/password will
be provided with the call to connect in the first place; if it is, then
requestPasswordAuthentication will never be called. It's only called
when there isn't one (or it's wrong).

However, what would be good is finding whether we're running in a GUI
-- can we use anything to detect if we are headless?

Alex.