geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Faiz <nick.f...@ce.com.au>
Subject RE: [newbie] JMX Console - where to start?
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2003 22:49:15 GMT
Putting it on a wiki page would be very useful.

Also, how are server instances represented in Geronimo?

Just to throw some obvious needs at the screen for the JMX console. We could
also consider sections for

- datasources, jdbc connection pools and the usual list of things you'll see
in a J2EE console.
- users / groups. Are we using the typical ACL model?
- the adjustment of logging levels (it would be terrific if we could view a
stat.s graph of server usage).
- possibly, a list of active sessions.

Let me know if I can help out in this area. It's hard to know where to jump
in.

Nick

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Kurjanowicz [mailto:mkurjano@cc.gatech.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, 2 September 2003 7:55 AM
To: geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: [newbie] JMX Console - where to start?

Stepping back makes sense...
At the most basic level, I think we would need:
* start/stop/restart/kill server
* start/stop individual components (?)
* add/remove components (?)
* check status of server/individual components
* list/start/stop services

>From there, I think we would need to build some more advanced
functionality:
* Change configuration of server on the fly
* List configuration (? - basic?)
* Manage (in more depth than start/stop/list)/Configure Services
(necessary?)

I think this is a really restricted list, and just takes into account
the most basic items.  As far as how to implement this functionality, a
command line interface would be nice and simple for the simpler tasks,
but it would be a little more difficult to say, configure the server
using a command line versus using a web/swing type framework.

-Matt
mkurjano at cc.gatech.edu

P.S> Where in the Wiki would a page about this go?