geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject How to get rid of bugs, the easy way.
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2003 17:48:18 GMT
Close them all as duplicates. No really, it happened.

For some strange reason, all of the bugs filed against JavaMail were
marked as duplicates of an uber-bug "JavaMail improvements". Despite
the fact that some of these were bugs in the spec interfaces, bugs in
the implementation of the API classes, implementation in other
non-JavaMail packages (like the Java Activation Framework) they were
all marked as duplicates of uber-bug

http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=GERONIMO-66

Is there any point in using a flexible system that allows grouping and
relating of issues when they are going to be closed anyway? Never mind
the fact that all of the bug reports had patches, and in some cases,
test classes -- all of this is now lost under the guise 'JavaMail
improvements'.

This basically means we'll be lucky if most of them get put through,
and even luckier if all of them get put through to the CVS server.
Having a bug like this is just an irresponsible way of relating bugs in
a bug-management system, especially when the bug-tracking system is
perfectly capable of representing the bugs in their own state.

I believe that the following bugs are /not/ duplicates and should be
reopened:

http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=GERONIMO-50
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=GERONIMO-51
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=GERONIMO-52
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=GERONIMO-53
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=GERONIMO-54
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=GERONIMO-55
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=GERONIMO-56
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=GERONIMO-58
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=GERONIMO-59
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=GERONIMO-60
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=GERONIMO-61
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=GERONIMO-62
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=GERONIMO-63
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=GERONIMO-64
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=GERONIMO-65

Please will someone with JIRA access ensure that these are un-marked as
duplicates and reopened. If someone wants to relate them all together
into a generic JavaMail bug, then they can do so using the 'relate
bugs' link item.

Alex.