geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Aaron Mulder as committer
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2003 00:47:06 GMT

On Tuesday, September 16, 2003, at 05:32  PM, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> Aaron Bannert wrote:
>> On Tuesday, September 16, 2003, at 08:52  AM, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>>
>>> As soon  as you let a PMC make decisions behind closed doors - then
>>> your asking for trouble.  A PMC is there to handle either (a) dull,
>>> boring, mindless administrata, or (b) nasty stuff that you really
>>> don't want to know about.  Anything in between should be for the
>>> community to decide and if that causes some flack - so be it.
>>
>> Again, this is incorrect and very misleading.
>
> :-)
>
> Aaron - it's only my opinion.
>
> While you may think it is wrong relative to you interpritation of the
> roles and responsibilities of a PMC, the comments are not incorrect -
> they are simply an opinion.
>
> As to misleading - that comes down to your objective.  If your
> objective
> is community engineering within an open source project then yes, my
> observations would clearly be misleading as thay imply problems related
> to a club mentality which would naturally be counter-productive.  On
> the
> otherhand, if your aiming for a structure within which decisions are
> transparent and function is oriented to facilitating[1] and
> representing[2] a community[3] - then perhaps you could consider the
> same observations as engaging, embrassing, even ... enabling[4].

I didn't mean for that to come out so strongly, but I don't think
it's right to portray the PMC in such a negative way. I'd prefer
that we point out what the benefits of PMC membership are, and encourage
project contributors to see membership in their project's PMC.

Here's the part I thought was misleading:

>>> A PMC is there to handle either (a) dull, boring,
>>> mindless administrata, or (b) nasty stuff that you
>>> really don't want to know about.

And here's the part I thought was incorrect (although I admit I didn't
see that it said "should be" before, so I take back what I said about
it being incorrect :)

>>> Anything in between should be for the community
>>> to decide and if that causes some flack - so be it.

Anyway, yes, now that I reread what you wrote here, I totally agree.
The community should decide all the in-between stuff. At the ASF,
however, the community that wishes to make those kinds of decisions
should aspire to join the PMC.

-aaron