geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Réf. : [ObjectWeb architecture] Re: ObjectWeb (was Re: ASM looks cool but LGPL)
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2003 12:59:04 GMT

On Wednesday, September 3, 2003, at 01:46  pm,
Jean-Pierre.Laisne@bull.net wrote:
> Brian,
>
> You are totally right.
>
> There is no legal  issue (nor constraint from FSF) for any GPL or LGPL
> application to combine "BSD-type"  license such as Apache. The derived
> work
> in that case is LGPL. The contrary is not possible because of the same
> reason i.e. LGPL's "viral" aspect (which is IMHO a strength for "FSF
> type"
> license).
>
> Like you suggest it, ObjectWeb would be ready (in conjunction with
> Apache
> Community) to "make a public statement" about this licensing
> compatibility.
> We can bring to the table our experience from ObjectWeb's code base
> e.g.
> JOnAS, ObjectWeb's J2EE platform (LGPL) using TOMCAT (APACHE). FYI
> JOnAS
> has been audited by lawyers and this works well for them: it is used by
> "critical" applications for users who are very touchy about these legal
> aspects.
>
> On one hand, Objectweb's community is very happy with LGPL for
> application
> such as JOnAS. But we understand clearly the issue (here we count on
> reciprocity:-).
>
> On the other hand, ObjectWeb's community  likes very much the idea of a
> "gateway" license enabling both Apache and ObjectWeb (or any other
> developer without any restriction) to reuse common code.
>
> So let me ask a question:
> In your  schema, would it be acceptable for this "gateway license" to
> be a
> BSD license?

Absolutely - that'd be great!

> Could we imagine that some JOnAS components would become BSD (so
> reusable
> within any other licensed code - even proprietary) while JOnAS  would
> stay
> LGPL?

That'd be perfect.

e.g. if ASM were BSD licensed (which I'd personally love!)  we can use
that throughout Apache - yet any other ObjectWeb project such as JOnAS
can remain LGPL with no issue. i.e. ASM can still be happily used by
any *GPL code and bundled in a GPL /  LGPL distribution.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/