geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <shane_curc...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: committer process
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:29:44 GMT
(Apologies if this has already been covered... I haven't been watching
incubator myself - I'm presuming someone will moderate me in!)

One side comment: I think we're all very passionate about some very similar
things.  And perhaps we need to clarify what we think 'responsible' means
in this context.

I *think* that Greg was trying to point out that it is the PMC that is
legally responsible to the corporation that is the ASF to ensure that the
project that they manage is run responsibly.  While it's easy to forget,
there are plenty of legal and organizational issues that we must continue
to dot the i's and cross the t's on, even if they have little to do with
the great code and communities that we have.

While I'm sure our committers also feel responsible for our code - and do
the technical work, and answer questions on the list, and everything else
they do - they are not strictly part of the corporate organization that
holds the ASF together.  No-one is forgetting the technical and community
participation that our committers give.  But in some ways the buck stops
with the PMC when it comes to decisions that can affect the larger picture,
the picture that includes the Federation itself.

(Someone chime in if I'm making sense yet)

Personally, I'm still undecided as to open vs closed new committer
voting.   In terms of who votes - PMC or the project's committer base - I
think each community should decide for itself.  However, remember that all
new committers effectively have to be (or should have to be) approved by
the PMC before they can get an account - this is one way the PMC
establishes the organizational oversight that can keep the ASF running (as
a corporation).

- Shane