geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Aaron Mulder as committer
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2003 02:03:29 GMT

On Thursday, September 11, 2003, at 06:41  PM, Nick Faiz wrote:

> The votes are very friendly at the moment but I can imagine
> controversial
> scenarios.
>
> I don't know the Apache process for handling this sort of thing; a
> quiet
> vote among the current committers and project heads might be
> worthwhile. We
> could simply see the results emailed out or an email could be sent to
> each
> coder whom was voted in.

Pretty much the way it works (at least in the HTTPD and APR projects) is
if a committer is voted in, then that committer will receive an
invitation
and will be asked to sign the contributor agreement. Once that's settled
they can get an account and start making commits.

The rule of thumb for projects I've been on is a steady stream of
contributions
for 6 months. In my experience, the fastest way to get commit access to
a project
is to produce so many good patches that the current committers can't
keep up
and eventually give in and give you direct commit access. :)

The same rules apply to becoming a PMC member, or for becoming an
Apache member.
If you are contribute to the management of a project, or if you
contribute in
some way to the foundation, someone should eventually notice you and
offer you
that sort of access/membership. (The ASF is a meritocracy all the way
to the top.)

-aaron