geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [moving-code] Boot time services to kernel module
Date Mon, 08 Sep 2003 17:31:28 GMT
On Monday, September 8, 2003, at 05:52 AM, Jason Dillon wrote:

>>> Collections are your friend too ;-)  ReferenceMap makes it super
>>> simple ti write memory friendly caches and such.
>>
>> Actually it is not by the fact to use a single class from the package
>> you have to suck down a half meg jar.
>
> Me thinks XDoclet plugin makes uses of it and I am using ReferenceMap
> in my alpha task based MBeanProxyFactory to make the task cache memory
> friendly for the vm.  I think as we add new services that we will and
> to use more from commons-collections.

I forgot to mention that Jeremy and I wrote a ReferenceMap while
writing the cache code for Geronimo and it took all of 15 minutes.

>>> I would really not worry too much about the base size right now.  If
>>> it comes down to it we can scape out the goodies we need into a
>>> smaller archive, but that is just more work and not worth it right
>>> now IMO.
>>
>> I disagree now is the time before things get too highly coupled (and
>> trust me I know things are very highly coupled right now).
>
> Decoupling is good, though lets not be to excessive about it right now
> is what I am saying.  If in the end we find that only n classes are
> used from a common jar, then we can suck them out from the standard
> dependencies and ad make micro versions for releases.

I dislike that idea, because it makes our build brittle.

> BTW, why did the log bits get dropped back into the kernel module?

I would have liked to keep put it in core, but the commons logging
framework has a flaw where once it chooses a log implementation there
is no way to change it.  If we can get them to allow us to swap out the
log implementation at runtume, we can boot with the default Log4jLog
(or even JDK 1.4 logging) and latter when our Log management service
starts we could switch to the caching log4j log.

-dain

  * Dain Sundstrom
  * Partner
  * Core Developers Network