geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [moving-code] Read Me
Date Mon, 08 Sep 2003 06:32:52 GMT
This done now. I strongly suggest you update your source tree right
away as a ton of code has moved.

We now have a kernel module that depends on no other modules on
geronimo.  It has a 3MB footprint right now, but I think we can get it
down to under 1.5MB without sacrificing and functionality.  The boot
time required jars are now put in a bootlib directory (until jason
finds a better place for them).

I think we need to quickly breakup the core module as it is getting
highly coupled.  Also, we need to keep tighter control on the common
module.  This module should be reserved for truly cross cutting
concerns and truly tricky code.  It it is not really common code it
shouldn't be in common and if it is easy code, we are better off
keeping it in the classes that would have used it and avoiding the
coupling. The kernel module should also be keep very clean, as it
directly effects our ability to be used in small utility command, our
embedability and boot time.

Anyway, take a good look at the new layout, and speak up if you don't
like some of my changes.  It you want to run the server use "maven
run:main".

-dain

  * Dain Sundstrom
  * Partner