geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Wilkins <gr...@mortbay.com>
Subject Re: [jsr77][core] AbstractContainer start dependancies
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:15:33 GMT

Dain,

I have not changed anything in CVS yet.  But gianni, jan and I have
all fixed this locally.

Are you going to change the method signature - or shall I flip the
arguments for now?

Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> On Sunday, September 14, 2003, at 07:54 PM, Greg Wilkins wrote:
>
>> Jan has noticed that the current implementation of
>> AbstractContainer.addComponent
>> creates a start dependancy so that the component must be started
>> before the
>> container is started.
>
> Really.  That is backwards.  A child can't move to the running state
> until the parent is in the running state.

exactly.  And a client is allowed to remain stopped even if it's parent
is started.

>> I think this is the wrong way around, as it is legal in jsr77 for a
>> container to
>> contain stopped components - else startRecursive would not be needed.
>>
>> This is causing Jan grief with the webcontainer, as it is insisting that
>> the webconnectors and webapplications are started before they are
>> added to the webcontainer - which is not possible.
>

> I'm not sure what you are saying here.  Declaration of a dependency is
> completely disconnected from the state of either object.

yeh - I didn't say that very well did I.     It is just trying to start
the component BEFORE it starts the container... but the webconnector component
can't start until it has a started webcontainer.

>> I have changed this so that the dependancy says that the container must
>> be started before the component is. It does not appear to break
>> anything else
>> and it makes Jan's webcontainer start.   So I'll go for a lazy
>> consensus on
>> this and commit this change tuesday unless anybody objects.
>

> What did you change?  I can't seem to find it.   Anyway, I think we
> should change the signature of DependencyService from
>
> addStartDependency(ObjectName startChild, ObjectName startParent)

> addStartDependency(ObjectName startParent, ObjectName startChild)
>
> It is just more natural to think parent then child.

what about:

   addStartDependency(ObjectName thisMustBeStarted, ObjectName beforeThisIS)

only half joking :-)