geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: clustering... web/ejb/jms etc.. - a common impl
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:51:10 GMT
Jules Gosnell wrote:

> James,
>
> I've done some thinking about the chat we had about integrating web,
> ejb and jms clustering strategies. Here is a gross simplification of
> some of the stuff we covered. Hopefully you can fit JMS into the
> picture....
>
> let's assume that the lb/replication strategies are combined and have
> two values: dumb and sticky.
>
> 'dumb' means the next request (web or ejb) can fall anywhere
> 'sticky' means it will fall wherever the last request in the same
> conversation fell
>
> 'dumb' involves synchronous replication to avoid a client request
> racing and beating a replication request to a node (although you could
> use asynchronous and cross your fingers if your LAN was fast).
>
> 'sticky' allows the luxury of asynchronous replication at a slight
> risk (in the case of failure), since we know subsequent requests will
> al fall on the same node.
>
> 'dumb' is not an environment that EJBs generally have to survive in,
> since their container is usually in charge of the client side proxy lb
> strategy. Web components, however, do need to be able to live happily
> in a dumb environment.
>
> The fun occurs when a call needs to cross over between the two tiers:
>
> (a) web-dumb/ejb-dumb : cross-over is local, but ejb tier must use
> synchronous replication like web-tier
> (b) web-dumb/ejb-sticky: cross-over is probably remote, but ejb tier
> may use asynchronous replication
> (c) web-sticky/ejb-dumb: cross-over is local -  ejb-tier gains nothing
> by synchronous replication - inefficient -it might as well be sticky
> (d) web-sticky/ejb-sticky: cross-over is local - both tiers are able
> to replicate asynchrously - maximum efficiency
>
> (a) and (b) are where the current Jetty distributable httpsession impl
> is with JB*ss, since integration between web and ejb tiers is still
> not perfect.

oops - what I meant was (b) and (d) - although (d) only works with
mod_jk provided that the initial node remains up, if you take it down,
mod_jk reverts to a 'dumb' strategy (or at least one where the next
request is not garanteed to land where the last one in the same
conversation did), so you are back to (b). What I want in Geronimo, is a
solution where we can run continually at (d), whilst popping nodes up
and down with no ill effect...

--
 * Jules Gosnell