geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bill de hÓra <>
Subject Re: Geronimo Deployment Descriptors -- and premature optimisation
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:57:46 GMT
Cabrera, Alan wrote:

> In my alternate reality, ;), fierce competition would lead to such constant
> innovation that there would always be vendor specific descriptors.

Maybe that's missing the point of a specification like J2EE - vendor
specific descriptors falls under embrace and extend in my book, but
innovation is a big word and there's room for disagreement :) If
what falls out of Geronimo is a really useful extension to the
standard  descriptors, then I'd like to see that put on the table
for the next fcs of the J2EE spec.

> To be sure, indiscriminate piling on of Geronimo descriptors with impunity
> would be a bad thing; I see no discussion here even intimating that
> scenario.

Granted, but I see no discussion intimating it won't (maybe I missed
it, I'm not following every thread) - it's a big project and lots of
things will happen implicitly. For the descriptors case, this has my
inner paranoiac slightly concerned since it's part of the contract
you enter into with the developers. In that sense extending
descriptors is not so very different from extending the APIs.

Bill de hÓra

View raw message