geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Comments on committer process
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2003 18:49:09 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>Was thinking of using the wiki as a place for votes in general...
>>easier to manage IMO.
>

> NO!
>
> Now for the explanation.  :-)  I am a big fan of Wiki, but it does not
> replace the mailing list.  The mailing list should be used for discussion,
> and MUST be used for voting.  The mailing lists are archived and provide an
> paper trail.  They are a record of the project.

not to mention the volatility of the wiki.  ANYONE can change it however they
like.

It is ok for capturing a _snapshot_ of an ongoing conversation (i.e. the
latest and greatest design of a system).  Things like that tend to get a
bit muddled on the mailing list over time, so a WIKI with the latest and
greatest status helps out a heap.

For votes and such, the wiki is the wrong tool for the job.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin