geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bill de hÓra <b...@dehora.net>
Subject Re: Geronimo Deployment Descriptors -- and premature optimisation
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2003 13:33:09 GMT
Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> Alex in an embedded system you may only have a small prom available to
> boot from.  Specifically, you may want to ditch the 1 meg for an XML
> parser.  You may also have a small amount of memory and XML parsers are
> known for being memory pigs (which is fine in a normal server).

Dain,

I'd make the argument that any embedded system that needed to ditch
an XML parser probably has no business running a J2EE stack. *

Fwiw, the answer to this problem is to eliminate implmentation
specific descriptors where possible. To paraphrase jwz - some
people, when confronted with a vendor specific J2EE descriptor think
“I know, I’ll use a deployment tool.” Now they have two problems.

Bill de hÓra

* [It's possible btw, to make small footprint and fast XML parsers
(such as aelfred or piccolo). I have no idea why a number of open
source ones insist on piling on the cruft, but they do.]