geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Wilkins <gr...@mortbay.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo Deployment Descriptors
Date Sun, 07 Sep 2003 22:49:11 GMT

Jeremy Boynes wrote:
> I am reluctant to back out the current code as we don't have an
> alternative at this time and so other stuff that depends on being able
> to load DDs will break. I suggest we stay with what we have until an
> alternative is available and then restart this discussion then.

Using the "code is checked in" resolution to discussions is not a good
precident to set.

Sorry but I really think that duplicating/ignoring the standard descriptors
is fundamentally *wrong* and we should not move forward on that basis (not
unless there is significant support for the idea and it is me that is *wrong* :-)

I understand the problem you are trying to fix - but I think this cure is
worse than the disease.

As you say, any time you have two files you have a sync problem. Thus your
solution, having two files, does not avoid the need for manual or tool based
syncs - but having duplicate content introduced the need for merge as part
of that sync process.

We should use the one approach for all deployment descriptors - so if we
do decide to go this way, we will have to duplicate the content of web.xml
into geronimo-web.xml.  There are many many tools that generate and/or
parse web.xml and JSR88 is not going to replace them overnight.  Jasper for
one is going to continue parsing the web.xml file itself, so this approch
applied to webapps is going to be difficult.

We need to write the geronimo-web.xml and web.xml handling code.  I really do
not want to duplicate/ignore the content of web.xml and I don't want to use a
different solution to the other deployment descripts.

cheers