geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Wilkins <gr...@mortbay.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo Deployment Descriptors
Date Sun, 07 Sep 2003 01:26:34 GMT

-1

I understand that the single file nature of this approach is considered
attractive.  JSR154 was considering supporting such descriptor extensions
as part of the spec.  However, this was removed from the spec and the
feeling is that the J2EE jsrs will no longer favour such descriptor extensions
(as was once going to be the case for all j2ee 1.4 descriptors).

The problems listed included:

  + difficulties in file lifecycles for tools that generate descriptors.
    Anything that does not know about geronimo would probably constantly
    overwrite any geronimo specific elements.

  + Difficulties in maintaining multi container deployment.  Change control
    and generation of container specific configuration will be difficult if
    multiple tools want to add container specific information into the
    standards descriptors.