geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Mesnil <Jean-Frederic.Mes...@inrialpes.fr>
Subject Re: ObjectWeb (was Re: ASM looks cool but LGPL)
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2003 14:06:45 GMT
James Strachan wrote:

> On Monday, September 1, 2003, at 06:22  pm, Fran├žois LETELLIER
> (ObjectWeb) wrote:
>
>> James' point is good advocacy for the APL. However the question here
>> is not a question of license, but a question of policy. It'd be a
>> choice for JOnAS teams to change license (keeping in mind that all
>> copyright holders would have to agree), just as much as it'd be a
>> choice for Geronimo teams to take on then LGPL - or any other OSL.
>

> Just to be clear. We have *no* choice at Apache. We *cannot* legally
> use any LGPL or GPL code.

Indeed, the FSF states that  APL code is not compatible with *GPL[1]
(but the opposite is ok).

> No. There are many licences that BSD / ASF style licences can work
> with. It just cannot work with LGPL or GPL. i.e. its just LGPL and GPL
> which are viral & can't work with other commercial or open source
> licences.

James, I haven't been able to find on Apache web site a list of APL
compatible licenses. Do you know if such a
document exist?

jeff

[1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/info/Apache.html

--
Jeff Mesnil	INRIA - ObjectWeb Consortium
JOTM project leader
email: jmesnil at inrialpes.fr
homepage: http://sardes.inrialpes.fr/people/jmesnil/perso.html