geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel S. Haischt" ...@daniel.stefan.haischt.name>
Subject Re: ObjectWeb (was Re: ASM looks cool but LGPL)
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2003 13:29:04 GMT
Jeff Mesnil wrote:

[...]

> Indeed, the FSF states that  APL code is not compatible with *GPL[1]
> (but the opposite is ok).

see also ...

-> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses

i have the distinct impression that the statement:

  a) APL is incompatible with GPL/LGPL
  b) but GPL/LGPL is compatible with APL

is wrong because _all_ GPLed software components (including the imported
libraries) need to be copyleft software AFAIK?

maybe my explanatory statement is wrong, too. but my impression
remains ;-)

>> No. There are many licences that BSD / ASF style licences can work
>> with. It just cannot work with LGPL or GPL. i.e. its just LGPL and GPL
>> which are viral & can't work with other commercial or open source
>> licences.
>

> James, I haven't been able to find on Apache web site a list of APL
> compatible licenses. Do you know if such a
> document exist?

see -> ...

http://www.mail-archive.com/license-discuss@opensource.org/msg06171.html

it's a discussion about AFL but also includes replies about APL.

regards

daniel s. haischt