geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [WishList] [Deployment] [EJB]
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2003 00:23:49 GMT

On Thursday, September 4, 2003, at 02:01 AM, Sergei Batiuk wrote:

> One of the greatest problems in the EJB development, is that EJB
> deployment usually takes a lot of time (in servers like Weblogic, or
> SunONE appserver), because a container needs to generate and compile
> stub classes for EJBs. JBoss and JRun provide fast deployment because
> they use reflection instead of code generation and compilation.
> However, the EJB invocation based on reflection is known for being
> slower than the one based on stubs.

That is not true.  A normal Java method invocation on an Object
reference (not an interface reference) takes about 3 nanoseconds on my
1g mac.  A Java reflection invocation takes about 350 nanoseconds ==
0.000 350 ms.  My guess is you thing that is slow (and so do I).
Instead of using Java reflection we will be using proxies generated by
cglib which supports reflective style calls using a MethodProxy object.
  A reflection invocation using MethodProxy on my 1g mac takes 7
nanoseconds.

So we will only be doing dynamic proxies.

-dain

  * Dain Sundstrom
  * Partner
  * Core Developers Network