geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [Q:] JMX implementation, adaptors
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:54:04 GMT
On Wednesday, September 17, 2003, at 10:02 AM, gianny DAMOUR wrote:

>>> Just right now, the JRMP adaptor of MX4J is leverage in order to be
>>> able to use MC4J. The adaptor is mounted during the boot of
>>> Geronimo. You can have a look to the boot-service.xml.
>>
>> For now yes, but the new approach is the remoting framework.
> Thanks for this precision.
>
> It is in my understanding that the remoting framework exposes, by now,
> the MBeanServer via the "async" transport using either java.io or
> java.nio. It is also in my understanding that this framework allows to
> add "easily" new transport protocols.
>
> However, when I browsed the code, I thought that it was "just a
> show-case" of this framework and a mean to share with others how to
> leverage it. I thought that it was a show-case because MX4J provides a
> RMI adaptor.
>
> I understand that protocol adaptors and connectors are not covered by
> the JMX specifications and hence that to use the out-of-the-box RMI
> adaptor provided by MX4J was binding the implementation to MX4J.

I believe that JSR 160 addresses remote connections to an MBeanServer,
but it is protocol independent.

> Hence this question: can we use provider specific features or is it
> forbidden in order to ensure the "portability"?

The only protocols required by J2EE are IIOP and SOAP.  Beyond that we
can use any other protocol we want.  I expect the normal protocols to
be a custom low overhead protocol and some sort of rmi/http.

-dain