geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [vote] XML Parsing
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2003 16:09:29 GMT
On Wednesday, September 3, 2003, at 08:18  pm, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 3, 2003, at 11:27 AM, James Strachan wrote:
>> On Wednesday, September 3, 2003, at 04:45  pm, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>>> Is it building a reverse digester using Digester or does it have
>>> it's own logic that knows how to do it?  I like that feature, but
>>> not the rest of Betwixt.
>>
>> There is no digester feature to output XML. So the output of XML is a
>> purely betwixt thing. Basically Betwixt creates a little XMLBeanInfo
>> class which describes how to map it to XML and this is used to go XML
>> -> bean (defaulting digester rules) and to go bean -> XML.
>
> Can we use that without using the auto rule generation in Betwixt?  I
> would really like to have a simple rule system like Digester which
> does xml generation from POJOs.

Sure. The only downside with this approach is you're writing one set of
rules by hand for parsing and letting Betwixt figure out the rules for
writing XML and they may not match - if you're gonna use Betwixt
anyways, you might as well let it do the rules for both sides & then
you're more likely to have a consistent mapping of POJO <-> XML.
Though whatever - its no biggie. you can use any digester stuff for
parsing & just use betwixt for the XML generation if thats what you
want to do.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/