geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: MDB support
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2003 19:40:40 GMT
On Thursday, September 25, 2003, at 12:23 PM, James Strachan wrote:

> I'd like us to be able to deploy MDBs inside Geronimo ASAP - however
> I'm not totally sure how to go about this, hence this email :).
>
> To properly manage JMS connections and the like we need the JCA
> implementation. Though until then I was gonna focus on the MDB hosting
> side, where we can treat MDBs as just like a special stateless session
> bean.
>
> I've had a hunt around the code & it looks like the stateless session
> beans stuff is in the core module in o.a.g.ejb.cache, e.g.
> StatelessInstanceFactory right? First question - has anyone tried to
> deploy any stateless SBs into Geronimo yet? I couldn't find any test
> cases using it - is there something elsewhere I should be looking at?

All the code to run a Stateless Session Bean is there. What is missing
is the wiring.  I did test the code by replacing the Stateless and
Stateful containers in Elba and running the test suite.  Anyway, there
is not way to deploy it right now.... sorry.

> Once we can deploy stateless SBs then I'd have thought doing MDBs
> should be similar yes? Basically I was just gonna do something
> extremely simple for now - write  a  dummy little JMS subscriber MBean
> that can mock the JCA connection manager until the JCA part is ready,
> and then get some MDBs working. Then folks could try hooking the mail
> stuff into the same MDB service.
>
> So does this all sound like a reasonable plan? Anyone working on this
> stuff or on the EJB side of things care to correct any of my mistaken
> assumptions.

Looks good to me.  I think the hard part is getting the management of
the MDB right.  I'm thinking of things like thread pool management and
statistics gathering.

-dain