geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@apache.org>
Subject conglomerate vs single-purpose PMCs
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2003 22:24:12 GMT
On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 07:41:46PM -0000, geronimo-dev-digest-help@incubator.apache.org wrote:
> From: Henri Yandell <bayard@generationjava.com>
> Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:27:54 -0400 (EDT)
>  [ excellent clarification/synopsis of Jakarta processes ]
> As to how Geronimo will work. I think that for a single project style,
> like httpd, Greg's way will work well. For a larger conglomerate, I think
> the two level of voting is more streamlined. The reality in Jakarta is that
> despite the desire for centralised management, there is still a larger
> level of autonomous behaviour required.
>
> If you want Geronimo to be a large federation of smaller projects, I would
> suggest the Jakarta way be considered. I suspect you'd prefer a httpd
> style, tighter knit community on one mail list, so I would recommend
> Greg's example from the httpd world.

The "conglomerate" approach is not recommended. You could say that the XML
and Jakarta projects are "grandfathered" into continuing in this fashion.
The problem is that it was completely infeasible to believe that the (at
the time) 7? 9? person Jakarta PMC could completely oversee the entire
Jakarta effort. So we pushed to increase the PMC size and to decrease the
amount of code under its purview. Thus, Ant, Maven, James, Avalon, and DB
projects were spun out. On the XML side, the Web Services and Cocoon
efforts were spun out, and the XML PMC increased in size, too.

In an ideal world, each codebase would have its own PMC. For various
reasons, we're still grouping tightly-related projects together, but we
hope to remedy that in the long run.

Cheers,
-g

--