geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@apache.org>
Subject Re: committer process
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2003 05:55:18 GMT
On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 02:56:47AM -0000, geronimo-dev-digest-help@incubator.apache.org wrote:
> From: "Ryan Ackley" <sackley@cfl.rr.com>
> Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:25:28 -0400
>
> > In the best of worlds, and in the ideal ASF setup, just about
> > every committer is also a PMC member (look at HTTPD)...
>
> If thats the case, its just splitting hairs. To me it is just a matter of
> preference. I don't really see one way having more benefits than the other
> way.

Splitting hairs? Preference? I think not.

The ASF requires that all active committers be part of the PMC. It is just
that simple. Say anything you want, but it won't change the facts.

Corollary: the Jakarta PMC is broken. They know it, and they have spent
some time increasing the size of the PMC to include all active committers.
They have also worked on dividing the concept of "sub-project" lines and
authorization barriers. The basic fact is that the Jakarta PMC is
responsible for everything, equally. In effect, that means a Tomcat
committer can make changes to Velocity who can make changes to Struts who
can make changes to Commons.

In any case, what Jim Jagielski is saying that the ideal is that all
committers are on the PMC. Just because it is broken elsewhere does not
mean that the Geronimo project gets to follow that pattern. Start out on
the right foot...

Cheers,
-g

--