geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject committers (again)
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2003 08:21:57 GMT
On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 03:58:38AM -0000, geronimo-dev-digest-help@incubator.apache.org wrote:
> From: Dain Sundstrom <dain@coredevelopers.net>
> Subject: State of the Project
> To: geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org
> Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 16:11:25 -0500
> Another challenge facing us is how to grow the committer base.  There
> is some perception of a cathedral clique of insiders, whereas in

Yup. One of the reasons that I suggested adding committers ASAP. The more
you wait, the more you reinforce this. You've got a lot of people banging
on the door, more than willing to help. Open it, already. And do it on
your own terms rather than having the PMC do it.

> reality, many of the project management issues have arisen because the
> current committers are not used to working together and are new to the
> Apache Way.  With the initial startup phase behind us, we will be
> looking to expand the project rapidly over the next couple of months.

There are few true barriers to adding committers. The notion of "current
committers are not used to working together" is a red herring. You're
already working with the community at large. It has nothing to do with the
current set of committers.

I would recommend coming up with, say, a list of four people and submit
that list to pmc@incubator for consideration. How about by end of week?

If you don't want to do this, then let's hear a discussion about why. My
previous emails on this subject have gone unanswered. :-(

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/