geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [WishList] [Deployment] [EJB]
Date Sat, 06 Sep 2003 06:26:15 GMT
On Friday, September 5, 2003, at 08:31 PM, Thomas Hawtin wrote:

> Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>> On Thursday, September 4, 2003, at 02:01 AM, Sergei Batiuk wrote:
>> That is not true.  A normal Java method invocation on an Object
>> reference (not an interface reference) takes about 3 nanoseconds on
>> my 1g mac.  A Java reflection invocation takes about 350 nanoseconds
>> == 0.000 350 ms.  My guess is you thing that is slow (and so do I).
>> Instead of using Java reflection we will be using proxies generated
>> by cglib which supports reflective style calls using a MethodProxy
>> object.  A reflection invocation using MethodProxy on my 1g mac takes
>> 7 nanoseconds.
>
> I have some issues with your timings there. Are you using the client
> HotSpot? I get for invocation only around 40 cycles with -server and
> 440 with -client. For lookup and invocation I get 3,200 with -server
> and 13,500 -client. Timings on a PII/266 running Linux and Sun JRE
> 1.4.2, and obviously take microbenchmarks with a pinch of salt. Loops
> with conventional virtual method invocations can be completely
> optimised away.

The idea is to get hot spot to optimize the loop so we only measure the
cost of an invocation, but if you want to play with it I can send you
the code.  I really don't understand what you code does, but mine times
somewhere 10,000 and 1,000,000 iterations.  The number doesn't matter
as long as it takes a while.  For there I calculate the number of
nanoseconds per operation.

> Something to be wary of is start up times. IIRC, (server) HotSpot (and
> I assume equivalent in other modern JREs) compile proxies for Method.
> Obviously they don't necessarily have to go through byte code, so
> start up times may be significantly faster.

Startup time is really not a big concern in a long running server
(within reason).  We just need to be sure that all of the byte code
generation happens during the deployment phase.

> I'm not saying cglib decisions are wrong, just making sure they're
> made with appropriate information...

Agree.

-dain

  * Dain Sundstrom