geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "n. alex rupp" <rupp0...@umn.edu>
Subject Re: Geronimo Deployment Descriptors
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2003 17:07:43 GMT
That's another thing that would be great for us to add to the management
console.  *click here to precompile your JSPs*. . . .

This is all just too much fun : )

I'm with Alex B. in that I think XML has more immediate value (for the sake
of portability), but I also understand Jeremy's point, that huge deployments
require some more tenable solution--and I agree with RMH that eventually,
users shouldn't need to think about how it's configured--it should just
*work*.  I think unmarshalling the XML into some schema-validated format
then optionally caching them would be a good idea.  If the developer or
admin wanted to alter the configuration, they should be able to do so at any
point through the UI, then overwrite the old config or save a new one.  They
*could* at that point choose between multiple configurations.

"Exporting" the config as XML (or .properties) or whatever should be seen as
just another form of persistence for the config.

Of course, that's assuming we all have oodles of time to spend honing this
: )  If I had to pick one way to do it in the beginning, I'd work with XML
files.  After that, sky's the limit.

--
N. Alex Rupp (n_alex_rupp@users.sf.net)