geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "n. alex rupp" <rupp0...@umn.edu>
Subject Re: new to geronimo
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:34:53 GMT
Timothy,

My advice to you would be to familiarize yourself with as many of the
current J2EE standards as you can, so you can get a foggy idea of the Big
Picture.  You might begin frequenting Java Developers Journal, TheServerSide
and Java.net to get a feel for what's going on in the industry
(technologywise), then go to  http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/all  for the master
list of JSRs.

If I were you, I'd pick the ones which are the most interesting to you and
which relate to our effort here (JSRs 3, 77, 88, 160, 220, 221, 222 come to
mind) and become *very* familiar with one or two of them, and moderately
familiar with the others.  After that, it's a matter of learning the various
Open Source implementations and asking the right questions to the right
people.

If poring through specs isn't for you, try starting with O'Reilly's
Enterprise JavaBeans book.  There's a chapter in there about core
services--very handy place to start for would-be J2EE gurus.  As you start
becoming familiar with the specs and confident about the technology, just
keep hanging on in the list and things should start making sense.

Keep reading the list. If you don't know what something refers to (JCA?
What the hell is JCA?) Then go to Google and find out.  Spend some time
learning the vocabulary so you know what the hell people are talking about.

As always, there's no better way to learn code than to read code (except to
write code of course).  The server isn't *that* huge yet, and it all starts
with a main() method.  Take a walk through it and see if you recognize
anything.  Or stake out a module.  Sign up for the CVS list, so you know
when people are making changes.  You'll get an idea of who's working on what
and when.  I won't lie to you--this is complex stuff.  I don't always know
what's going on or what the hell people are talking about--but it's a large
enough project I don't really need to.  That's the beauty of abstraction.
In the end, it's all just Java anyway.

Oh yeah, read the wiki and keep abreast of the current Jira issues.  There's
a lot of activity in both of them (relatively speaking).

Hope this helps all you neonates out there.  Just keep at it.  This stuff
takes time to learn, that's all.
--
N. Alex Rupp (n_alex_rupp@users.sf.net)